Skip to main content
Your Role in Safety
Be involved in your health care - you know the most about you.
- Patients must be considered a part of their own health-care team
- Educate yourself
- Ask questions, listen to the answers and talk with your care provider. These are important ways to help keep you safe while you are here in the hospital
What can you do to keep yourself safe?
- Clean your hands and ask your caregivers to clean their hands
- Make sure that staff have identified you properly by asking your full name and your date of birth and by checking your armband and/or paperwork
- Ask questions about your tests or treatments
- Keep a record of your past medical and/or surgical history and your current medications
- Tell us if you need help, if you have trouble seeing, hearing or if you feel dizzy, unsteady or faint
- Protect your valuables
- Follow all posted hospital policies including the supervision of your children
- Make sure you know what you are to do when you get home from the hospital