Markham Stouffville Hospital is a member of Connecting Ontario, a secure, provincial electronic health record (EHR) system that allows authorized members of your healthcare team to access your personal health information. Connecting Ontario connects partners from three major regions in Ontario – the greater Toronto area, southwestern Ontario and the northern and eastern regions – as well as local and provincial vendors and stakeholder.
The aim is to provide all clinicians across Ontario with the ability to access their patients’ personal health information anywhere, anytime. Having rapid access to complete, up-to-date and accurate information puts clinicians in a better position to provide you with the best possible care.
Information contained in Connecting Ontario includes:
- Lab results
- Diagnostic imaging reports
- Discharge summaries
- Visit notes
- Certain publicly-funded drug information
Access to Connecting Ontario is restricted to those who provide or assist with your patient care. The program is funded and overseen by eHealth Ontario.
What are the benefits of Connecting Ontario?
- Connecting Ontario is the platform that is used to enable authorized members of your healthcare team to share medical data in a safe, secure, digital format that will improve the care you receive.
- It delivers information to the right people at the right time, enhancing your experience with your healthcare providers.
- It reduces costs associated with managing paper records and duplicate tests and allows a more efficient transfer of accurate information.
- It provides a more complete picture of your patient health information across the continuum of care.
- It avoids the need for you to repeat your medical history when you go to different healthcare providers.
- It reduces wait times for you and all our patients.
Access and direction/consent directives
You may block the viewing of all or some of your healthcare information in the Connecting Ontario platform by placing a consent directive. It is best to discuss the implication of placing a consent directive with a member of your treatment team. Please note that a consent directive may be overridden with your express consent, or in other circumstances permitted by law. For more information, please contact our Office of Access and Privacy at 905-472-7373 ext. 6004 or contact eHealth Ontario directly at 1-866-250-1554.
Download eHealth Ontario's Patient consent directive request form.