Due to a flood caused by the extreme cold weather, certain areas of the hospital are temporarily closed or have been moved. Read more.
Ethics at MSH
What is ethics in a healthcare setting?
Ethics involves helping patients, families and those who work in healthcare when they are facing difficult moral or value-based choices about the right or best course of action. The goal is not to impose values on others, but to help individuals and groups in solving complex problems so they are able to make informed decisions about treatment.
Topics in health care that might present an ethical challenge could include:
- Goals for treatment
- Value differences and conflicts
- End of life decision making
- Allocation of resources
What is an Ethicist, and how can they help me?
All MSH patients, their families, and staff have access to an Ethicist. The Ethicist is a resource person, with advanced training in ethics, who can help clarify ethical issues, offer other perspectives, review options, and assist patients, families, and health-care teams with decision-making.
What will the ethicist do?
- Provide confidential consultation
- Ensure all relevant facts, values and options are explored
- Help people understand and explore available treatment options
- Identify and provide information to help people make decisions about ethical issues
- Mediate to assist individuals and/or groups when there is a difference of opinion about a particular patient care situation
- Participate in MSH's research ethics board, to address ethical issues in research
- Provide education to patients, families, and professionals on ethical issues in health care
Are there any resources available to help me make a decision?
At MSH we have an ethical framework, processes and policies that help patients, families, and staff make ethical decisions and deal with difficult ethical dilemmas. The following documents may be helpful to you:
For help with an ethical issue or using the Ethics Framework, please contact our MSH Ethicist at 903-472-7373 ext.6937 or email ethics@MSH.on.ca and your email will be answered within two business days.