Joint replacement surgery
Joint replacement surgery
Our skilled surgical team at Markham Stouffville Hospital performs many different types of joint replacement surgeries using the most up-to-date technologies and surgical techniques. Whether you need a knee or hip replacement, we can provide the service you expect and need to be active again and get back to your regular routine fast.
Why come to MSH for your joint replacement?
MSH is a centre of excellence for all your orthopaedic needs. We can meet your cultural care requirements with our diverse staff and a full range of interpreter services.
MSH has a centralized referral centre for hip and knee replacement surgery. This allows you quick access to consultation – within two weeks of receiving your referral – and has helped streamline access to care and reduce wait times. MSH is regularly ranked as having one of the shortest wait times for joint replacement surgery in Ontario. The centralized referral system offers detailed assessment with advanced practice practitioners, the ability to choose your surgeon, as well as additional information, education and support.
Depending on your situation, we can provide same-day or short-stay joint replacement surgery. Same-day surgery allows you to recover in the comfort of your own home and can enable you to get back to your normal routine quickly.
Our robust total joint replacement program has been offered for almost 30 years and we are proud to have the York Region surgeon lead for the musculoskeletal hip and knee program right here at MSH: Dr. J. Stephen McMahon. In fact, the MSH joint replacement program is a model other hospitals use for their joint replacement programs.
We provide high quality care through our full orthopaedic program based on the latest and best evidence including:
- Short wait times for surgery
- Rapid assessment by skilled advanced practice physiotherapists
- Full assessment with a nurse, as well as physician consults prior to surgery with our Surgical Assessment Clinic
- Muscle-sparing surgical techniques including direct anterior approach (DAA) and direct superior approach (DSA) hip replacement surgery
- Specialists in Oxford partial knee replacement surgery
- State-of-the-art operating rooms with the latest surgical technology
- A full education manual to keep you informed and prepared for your surgery
- A class with experts including pharmacists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, nurses and navigators to help provide you the information you need and answer your questions
- Same-day discharge back to the comfort of your home where you recover faster
- Virtual care follow-up appointments with one of our nurse practitioners as part of our Surgical Wellness Clinic
- We will call you to follow up in the first couple days after you go home
- We will continue to provide follow up for 90 days after you go home
- Community partners who work with us to ensure the same high quality care will be provided after you leave our doors and start your recovery
About our knee and hip replacement surgeries
We provide a full range of both hip and knee replacement surgeries to meet your specific needs. Whether you need to have both knees replaced at the same time, a DAA total hip replacement or another minimally-invasive joint replacement, we can meet your needs.
We are one of only a few hospitals in the area that have a surgeon specializing in Oxford knee replacement surgery. This procedure is less invasive, for people who have arthritis on only part of the knee joint.
Our hip replacement surgeries are done in a way to avoid unnecessarily cutting into key muscle groups in that area. These are called ‘muscle-sparing’ techniques. They allow a more comfortable and quicker recovery from surgery. The muscle-sparing techniques we offer are called direct anterior approach (DAA) and direct superior approach (DSA) hip replacements.
Your joint replacement surgery
If you are coming for surgery, please also see the Your surgical care journey and Day of surgery pages, where you will find out important information such as how to prepare for surgery and what to do/where to go when you arrive at the hospital.
When you undergo joint replacement surgery at MSH, our orthopaedic patient navigator will support you and your family throughout your surgical journey including 90 days after your surgery. If you have same-day surgery, follow-up appointments can also be done from your home through your computer, tablet or smart phone.