Location and Contact
When you arrive at Markham site: Register at registration desk in main lobby 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment. The registration desk clerk will direct you where to go.
Patients with a history of osteoporosis or a current fragility fracture may be referred to the Osteoporosis Clinic. Patients are referred from the hospital Fracture Clinic or the inpatient surgical unit.
Patients will see any one of our osteoporosis physicians. See the list at the bottom of this page.
Before your appointment
You should have had a recent bone mineral density (BMD) test performed within the last year. In addition, you should have the following specific lab work performed prior to your consultation:
- Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
- Calcium (correct for albumin)
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Alkaline phosphatase (ALP)
- 25-hydroxy vitamin D (25-OH-vitamin D)
What to bring to your appointment
- OHIP card
- All medications in their labelled bottles or blister-pack
- Glasses and hearing aids
- Gait aid (cane, walker, wheelchair)
- A family member, friend or other caregiver who helps to take care of you
- A snack if you are a patient with diabetes
During and after your appointment
Register with the registration desk in the main lobby 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
The first appointment will take at least 60 minutes. If additional testing is required before the appointment, then the appointment will take longer.
The care provider at your clinic visit will complete an assessment, which may include:
- Medication changes
- Diagnostic imaging
- Laboratory tests
After your appointment, the clinic will send a detailed report to your family doctor. If necessary, you will be scheduled for a follow-up appointment.