COVID-19 Assessment Centre
COVID-19 Assessment Centre
Location and Contact
Location: The COVID-19 Assessment Centre is located at the Markham site. See map below.
Online Booking: To get tested at MSH’s COVID-19 Assessment Centre you must meet the criteria listed below and book an appointment online. Walk-ins will not be accepted.
If you are having technical difficulties with online booking, please call 289-378-2419 to book an appointment.
Booking an appointment online
To get tested at MSH’s COVID-19 Assessment Centre you must meet the criteria listed below and book an appointment online. Walk-ins will not be accepted.
Criteria for testing
The Ministry of Health has recently updated the guidelines for COVID-19 testing. The Assessment Centre will ONLY be testing patients who are/have:
- Showing symptoms of COVID-19
- Been exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19 as informed by public health or through the COVID alert app
- Working or living in a setting that has a COVID-19 outbreak as identified by public health
- Been selected by the Ministry of Health for a targeted testing campaign
NOTE: Effective Friday, December 11, 2020, testing for the purpose of international travel clearance will not be completed at Assessment Centres, following guidance from the Ministry of Health. The Assessment Centre will no longer be testing patients who do not have symptoms of COVID-19 or asymptomatic people who do not meet the guidelines above.
IF YOU ARE HAVING AN EMERGENCY OR IF YOU ARE HAVING A CHEST PAIN OR DIFFICULTY BREATHING PLEASE GO TO THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT.
COVID-19 testing is by online booking only. No walk-ins. Book an appointment
- New appointment slots released at 12:01 a.m., and will remain open until registration cap is met
- Appointment slots are available for same day and next day appointments (48 hour period). If no appointments are available, no slots will be shown. Slots may become available throughout the day if cancellations occur.
- Once you have booked your appointment online, you will receive a phone call form an MSH staff member to complete your registration. You must complete your registration with an MSH staff member before coming to the assessment centre for your scheduled appointment. Please only arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- Do not seek testing at multiple COVID-19 assessment centres as this will result in delayed access and delayed test results for all. If you can no longer make your scheduled appointment, please cancel so others who need a test can be seen.
- To cancel your appointment log-in to your appointment booking account, click ‘Appointments’ on the top right menu, and click ‘Cancel’ on the appointment.
Hours & getting to the Assessment Centre:
Regular hours of operation
This centre is open seven days a week, including holidays.
|Hours of operation|
|Weekdays||9 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
|Weekends||9 a.m. – 5 p.m.|
|Holidays||9 a.m. – 5 p.m.|
Getting to the Assessment Centre
The COVID-19 Assessment Centre is located at the Markham site. The COVID-19 Assessment Centre cannot be accessed from inside of the hospital. The entrance is located on the south side of the hospital, east of the Emergency Department, see map below. COVID-19 Assessment Centre parking is in lot #7.
Important information about the Assessment Centre
- The Ministry of Health has recently updated the guidelines for COVID-19 testing. Please carefully read the new guidelines listed above to determine if you meet the new criteria for testing before calling the Assessment Centre to register.
- The assessment centre will no longer be testing patients who do not have symptoms of COVID-19 or asymptomatic people who do not meet the guidelines above.
- If you do not have symptoms and are eligible for testing, please visit a Ministry authorized pharmacy for testing.
- Upon arrival to the Assessment Centre, individuals who have registered will be asked to check-in at the nursing station.
- The following information sheets help prepare toddlers, young children and older children for the COVID-19 test.
- The test is similar to that of other respiratory illnesses and involves taking a sample from the back of the nasal cavity with a swab. York Region Public Health will follow up with those who test positive for COVID-19.
- The COVID-19 Assessment Centre will not provide a doctor’s note. Those individuals requiring a doctor’s notes are requested to contact their family doctor.
Patients should come prepared to the Assessment Centre
- Individuals who need interpreters should have that contact or a downloaded application readily available on their phone.
- Avoid bringing any individuals with you who do not have to be swabbed or assessed. This will help us ensure adequate space for social distancing. However, patients who require assistance (with mobility) will need to bring a support person to help them get to and from the Assessment Centre.
Accessing your COVID-19 results
The swabs taken at the Markham Stouffville Hospital’s COVID-19 Assessment Centre are not processed on site. The best way for you to access your results is by visiting the Public Health Ontario COVID-19 results website. An OHIP number is required to register to view results. It may take up-to seven days for you to receive your results. Once your results are available, you will only receive a phone call if your test is positive.
Once your results are available, you will only receive a phone call if your test is positive.
Instructions after your COVID-19 test
Download the follow-up instructions and learn how to get your results and how to self-isolate.
See attached PDF.