Check our COVID-19 info page for any updates before coming to the hospital.
Location and Contact
Location: Markham site: Unit 1E, building A, 1st floor
Phone: 905-472-7525; fax: 905-472-7134
If you require rehabilitation, our program at Markham Stouffville Hospital provides a holistic, integrated collection of services designed to promote quality of life for you and your family. By taking an interdisciplinary approach, we are able to work with and support you to maximize your physical, psychological, cognitive, spiritual and social well-being.
Rehabilitation is for people who have lost abilities that they need for daily life. Some of the most common causes include: injuries and trauma, including burns, fractures, traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injuries; stroke; severe infections; major surgery; side effects from medical treatments, such as from cancer therapies; certain birth defects and genetic disorders; developmental disabilities; and chronic pain, including back and neck pain.
Types of rehabilitation programs at Markham Stouffville Hospital
We offer two types of rehabilitation programs for patients that are medically stable and able to participate in daily sessions: short-term rehabilitation and the Restorative and Reactivation Program. Short-term rehabilitation accommodates patients with a variety of diagnoses.
When you receive rehabilitation, you often have a team of different healthcare providers. They will work with you to figure out your needs, goals and treatment plan. The types of therapies that may be included in a treatment plan include:
- Assistive devices, which are tools, equipment and products that help people with disabilities move and function
- Cognitive rehabilitation therapy to help you relearn or improve skills such as thinking, learning, memory, planning and decision-making
- Music or art therapy to help you express your feelings, improve your thinking and develop social connections
- Nutritional counselling
- Occupational therapy to help you with your daily activities
- Physical therapy to help your strength, mobility and fitness
- Recreational therapy to improve your emotional well-being through arts and crafts, games, relaxation training and animal-assisted therapy
- Speech language therapy to help with speaking, understanding, reading, writing and swallowing
- Treatment for pain
- Vocational rehabilitation to help you build skills for going to school or working at a job
If you require a more specialized approach (e.g., stroke, acute brain injury diagnoses), the rehabilitation team will consider submitting an application for you to be transferred to external facilities like St. John’s Rehab, Providence Healthcare or Bridgepoint Health. These facilities offer specialized rehabilitation services.
If you have medical issues such as chronic heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pneumonia, etc., our Restorative and Reactivation Program may be able to assist you to restore your functioning so you can return home safely. These programs run for two to three weeks, depending on your personal goals and progress.
You may benefit from both individual and group therapy (physiotherapy, occupational therapy and recreational therapy). You can actively participate in these sessions as well as have a lunch and dinner in the lounge room in a group setting.
A patient flow coordinator/discharge planner of the unit along with rehabilitation team will collaboratively work with you and your family members on safe discharge planning. They will also address any concerns with changes in your condition and care.