Respiratory therapy services are provided by Registered Respiratory Therapists (RRTs), who are a highly trained team of regulated health care professionals.
RRTs provide 24/7 coverage throughout the hospital to all ages- newborns, children and adults. They provide patient care in critical care areas, the neonatal intensive care unit, emergency department, operating room, and all patient care units.
RRTs also provide diagnostic and educational services in the outpatient clinics including, Pulmonary Function Lab, Asthma Clinic, COPD clinic and CPAP clinic.
The Respiratory Registered Therapists care for patients by:
- Delivering oxygen therapy and bronchodilator treatments to make breathing easier
- Providing education to patients on lung disease and medications
- Managing advanced life support and ventilation to critically ill patients
- Performing CPR as members of the cardiac arrest team
- Caring for mom and baby while attending high risk newborn deliveries
- Assisting with anesthesia in the operating room