Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a chronic disease that can be prevented. Your primary caregiver may refer you to the clinic to understand how to minimize your risk of developing the disease or to learn how to mange the condition you have.
Our goal is to work with you and your health care providers will reduce and control your symptoms. Our care team has the consumer information, equipment, knowledge and time to deliver a program to help you mange your disease.
COPD symptoms may worsen if not treated.
At the centre for respiratory health you will:
- Consult with a Respirologist to assess your diagnosis and disease severity
- Get information to help you control and reduce your symptoms
- Learn how to use medications and inhalers properly
- Learn techniques to help with daily living
The Centre for Respiratory Health - COPD provides one-stop coordinated care.
On your first visit you will have diagnostic tests and consultations to determine the best treatment strategy. A team led by a Respirologist and a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) will bring you, your family and appropriate supports together to provide a personalized disease management plan.
Exercise programs for COPD/Chronic respiratory diseases
Exercise program contacts
- Barb Lant - blant (@)markham.ca
- Matt Ho - mho (@)markham.ca or 905-477-7000 x4528
- Sheery Tse (COPD educator/exercise coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at the COPD clinic (905-472-7614).
Markham Stouffville Hospital has a unique partnership with the Cornell Community Centre allowing us to deliver exercise programs to patients with COPD or Chronic respiratory disease.
Better living health programs (OHIP funded)
Through a partnership between the City of Markham and Markham Stouffville Hospital there are now two exercise programs available for people with COPD/chronic respiratory disease. These programs run for 12 weeks.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:15 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
- Saturdays from 11:45 a.m. - 12:50 p.m.
Maintenance programs (some cost)
For those requiring more of a challenge or who have completed the better living health program
Tuesday from 1:15 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
- Thursdays from 1 p.m. - 2 p.m.