Due to a flood caused by the extreme cold weather, certain areas of the hospital are temporarily closed or have been moved. Read more.
Quality improvement plan
Tell us your idea
Click here to tell us "how might we do better" in next year's Quality Improvement Plan
Quality improvement is an ongoing priority that helps us continually find new and better ways to enhance care for patients, increase satisfaction and achieve even better clinical outcomes. Our Quality Improvement Plan, or QIP, is one tool that we are using to help us document and review our current performance in a variety of areas. With this plan, we will be able to very clearly see our targeted areas for improvement and chart our progress. Please click on the links below to view Markham Stouffville Hospital’s Quality Improvement Plan.
- What is the Quality Improvement Plan (QIP)?
In June 2010, the Ontario Government passed the Excellent Care for All Act. This legislation will help support hospitals to further improve the quality and safety of care they provide for members of our community. One of the ways that the Excellent Care for All Act is helping hospitals meet our community’s expectations regarding quality, patient safety and accountability is through the public reporting of QIPs.
QIPs provide a meaningful way for Markham Stouffville Hospital to show our accountability to our community, patients and staff. Our QIP is focused on creating a positive patient experience and delivering high quality health care.
- How do I read the QIP?
Our QIP is made up of two parts:
1) The narrative provides a brief overview of our QIP, highlighting and listing our hospital’s top priorities for the year.
2) The executive summary and work plan includes our improvement targets and initiatives. The executive summary and work plan includes a core set of indicators that all similar hospitals across the province are working on with indicators in the areas of safety, effectiveness, access and focused on patient-centred care.
Health Quality Ontario requested that all hospitals report on a series of core indicators to support province-wide comparisons. The core indicators that apply to our hospital are reflected in our QIP.
- How is the QIP developed?
Markham Stouffville Hospital’s Board of Directors and our Quality Committee are responsible for overseeing the development of the QIP. The members of our Board and the Quality Committee work closely with team of health-care professionals to determine areas where we are doing well and areas where we have room for improvement. From there, we set targets for the organization, which are reflected in the plan.
- What timeframe does the QIP cover?
QIPs are completed, submitted to the Health Quality Ontario and posted publicly annually at the start of each fiscal year, April 1st.
- Where can I get more information about quality of Markham Stouffville Hospital’s QIP?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Where can I find out more information about the Excellent Care for All Act and QIPs?
Please visit www.ontario.ca/excellentcare for more information about the legislation and its requirements, including the QIP.