At Markham Stouffville Hospital, we believe caring for the community goes beyond patient care. It means leaving a positive mark on the surrounding community and doing its part to be good green citizens.
We are committed to environmental stewardship and continually looks for opportunities to make our organization more environmentally friendly.
Our commitments to the environment can be seen through the hospital and in a number of key departments including facilities, environmental services, procurement, waste management and sustainable energy.
Our partnership with Markham District Energy is a great example of working with leaders in the industry to use energy more efficiently. Other green initiatives include our LED lighting project complete with scheduled timers, a new reverse osmosis system and state of the art building automation system, all which promote energy savings and has a positive effect on our environment.
- Read more of our greening initiatives
- The creation of a greening committee
- Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) reduction in HVAC equipment & elimination of Halons
- Implement and manage in-house carpooling program
- Partnership with Markham District Energy (MDE)
- Draft of environmental and sustainability policy
- LEED silver certification process successfully completed for recently built Building B
- Annual Greening and Sustainability Expo
- Greening tip segment added to corporate bimonthly newsletter
- MSH Bike to Work Day
- Reduction of kitchen waste by 33 per cent
- Extending paperless initiative to using electronic tablets for patient meal ordering instead of paper menus
- Increased battery recycling program
- Installation of variable speed drives to HVAC units in Building A
- Replacement of light fixtures with energy efficient LED units
- Reuse of furniture under refinishing/upholstering process – furniture materials being free of PVC
- Installation of energy efficient cart and instrument washer
- Replacement of morgue cooler unit with energy efficient model
- Energy saving white roofing system
- Rubber flooring that is entirely free of PVC, plasticizers and heavy metals
- Leaders in eliminating all cardboard in the operating room, outpatient procedure suite, sterile processing and distribution as medical supplies are received and delivered in reusable totes
- Exterior lighting designed to minimize light pollution onto neighbouring properties and reduce impact on the night sky
- Low-flow fixtures to achieve a water use reduction of 40 per cent
- Building envelope designed to increase thermal resistance
These initiatives combined with a high level of staff engagement in being a green organization have our hospital well positioned to continue being an environmental leader in our community.
We will continue to advance and refine our greening processes as doing so aligned with our mission to provide high-quality care in a way that promotes environmental sustainability. By implementing programs and initiatives that are designed to decrease adverse environmental impact, using energy more efficiently, reducing resource consumption, and increasing recycling, we are doing our part to ensure a more sustainable future. We are determined to reduce our environmental footprint even further as we continue to grow.
- Utility consumption reports
In compliance with Regulation 397/11 made under the Green Energy Act, 2009 Markham Stouffville Hospital is required to post our utility consumption. The first year of reporting is 2011. This information is included in the following documents: