Adult Diabetes Education Centre
The Diabetes Education Program offers services for adults:
- Newly diagnosed with diabetes
- Those who have been living with diabetes
- Those with pre-diabetes, at risk of developing diabetes
- Those with gestational (pregnancy) diabetes and diabetes in pregnancy
All programs offer individual assessment, care and education. Group information sessions are also offered on topics of interest.
Care We Provide
The centre provides the following services:
- Adult Program: Pre-diabetes, Type 2 and Type 1 Diabetes (individual or group sessions)
- Young Adults- Transition from Paediatric to Adult Care
- Endocrinology Clinic- referral required to see diabetes specialist (endocrinologist)
- Insulin Pump Therapy Training and Care- provided by certified pump trainers
- Gestational Diabetes Management
- Foot Care Clinic
- Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Multiple Daily Insulin Dosing (MDI)
- Insulin Initiation and On-going Insulin Adjustment with referring physician order
All programs offer individual assessment, care and education and include:
- Nutrition and activity management
- Medications and treatment options
- Instruction on blood glucose monitoring
- Ongoing follow-up care
For additional information about living with diabetes visit the Canadian Diabetes Association website at www.diabetes.ca.
Group Information Sessions
Patient Information sessions cover a range of topics including:
- Healthy Eating
- Grocery Store Tours
- Active Living and Exercise
- Blood Sugar Monitoring
- Taking Medications
- Problem Solving
- Weight Loss Management
- Reducing Risk
Other Services Provided:
- Drop-In clinic for Diabetes Education Centre clients on the last Friday of every month, 8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (No appointment required)
- Community programs - public information sessions
- Up to the date information on diabetes opportunities and innovation
- Education sessions for community health care providers
Satellite Clinics in Markham
Our Ballantrae diabetes clinic takes place in a large teaching room in the local fire hall. Clinics run three to four times per month on Mondays or Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., offering both individual counseling appointments and group sessions.
A Diabetes Education Team (RN/RD) hold a clinic for residents with diabetes of the Parkview Retirement home in Unionville every 2 months.
Milliken Cantonese Clinic:
We use a designated room in the Logos Baptist Church for individual diabetes counseling and new group sessions. The clinic runs every Tuesday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., offering basic diabetes education, followed up with individual assessment. We conduct counseling/assessments and book appointments in Cantonese.
South Markham South Asian Clinics:
We have multiple satellite sites in Markham and Unionville for individuals who speak South Asian languages including Hindu, Guajarti, Malayalam, Punjabi, Tamil and Urdu. Individual counselling and group sessions are offered at these sites. Clinics are run on Wednesdays or Fridays.
Our Diabetes Care Team can help you and your family learn about how to manage your diabetes and live well.
Health specialists on our team include:
- Registered Nurses
- Registered Dietitians
Members of the team are Certified Diabetes Educators (CDE). A CDE has demonstrated a standard of excellence in the field of diabetes care.
Location and Contact Information
379 Church Street
Call 905-472-7527 ext. 1 for more information and to book an appointment
Or Fax referral to 905-472-7533
Self-referral is accepted. You may self refer by calling 905-472-7527 between 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. or you can leave a voice mail and one of our staff will call you back. If you prefer, you can have your physician’s office fax a referral to 905-472-7533.
All services are available by appointment only. To book an appointment or speak with a member of the Diabetes Education Team, please call (905)472-7527.
A physician referral is necessary for some portions of the program
Markham Stouffville Hospital, Uxbridge Site
4 Campbell Drive, Uxbridge, ON, L9P 1S4
Testa Professional Building
Call 905-852-9771 ext. 5260 for more information and to book an appointment
Or Fax referral to 905-852-2460
- Self-referral is accepted
- All services are available by appointment
- Drop-In clinic 3rd Wednesday of the month, 2:00 -4:00 p.m. (No appointment required)
Hours of Operation
Mon. 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Milliken Site (Cantonese Program)
South Asian Satellite Sites
Mon. to Fri. 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday Drop-In Clinic
Program offers some late afternoon appointments,
Frequently Asked Questions
- Patients & Visitors
- Areas of Care
- Career Centre
- Our Foundations
- About Us
Areas of Care
- Cancer Care (Oncology)
- Childbirth Centre
- Children's Health
- Complex Continuing Care
- Critical Care
- Diagnostic Services
- Emergency Department
- Mental Health
- Outpatient Clinics
- Palliative Care
- Spiritual and Religious Care